The Council is one of the bodies of the Medical Research Agency and its term lasts 6 years. It is composed of 16 members, appointed and dismissed by the Minister of Health.
Its competences include issuing opinions on promising directions of research activities and on division of financial resources. The Council also delivers opinions on the annual activity plan of the ABM, which is a document that specifies the scope for competitions and own projects run by the ABM in a given calendar year.
The Council of the Agency is composed of (2019-2025 term):
- Professor Waldemar Priebe - Professor of Medicinal Chemistry; Department of Experimental Therapeutics; Division of Cancer Medicine; The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center [nominated by the Minister of Health]
- Professor George Wilding - Former Vice President and Deputy Chief Academic Officer/Vice Provost; Clinical and Interdisciplinary Research; The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Centre and Professor/Director Emeritus; University of Wisconsin Carbone Cancer Center [nominated by the Minister of Health]
- Professor Christopher JL Murray - The Chair and Professor of Global Health at the University of Washington; Director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IMHE) [nominated by the Minister of Health]
- Michael J. Pencina, PhD - Vice Dean for Data Science and Information Technology; Professor of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics; Duke University School of Medicine [nominated by the Minister of Health]
- prof. Maria Siemionow - Professor of Orthopedics and Director of Microsurgery Research at The University of Illinois, Chicago
- Professor Tadeusz Faustyn Krzemiński - Head of the Chair and Department of Pharmacology, the Medical Faculty with the Dentistry Division in Zabrze, Silesian Medical University in Katowice [nominated by the Minister of Health]
- Professor Piotr Rutkowski - Head of the Clinic of Soft Tissue and Bone Sarcomas and Melanomas; Maria Sklodowska-Curie Institute — Oncology Center [nominated as a representative of the directors of research institutes supervised by the Minister of Health]
- Professor Jerzy Chudek - Head of the Chair of the First Clinic of the Internal Medicine and Oncological Chemotherapy, Medical University of Silesia [nominated by the Confederation of Academic Rectors of Medical Universities]
- Bernard Waśko, MD PhD - Deputy President for Medical Affairs of the National Health Fund [Reported by the President of the National Health Fund]
- Professor Alojzy Z. Nowak, Rector of Warsaw University [Designated by the Minister of Science and Education]
- ks. dr Arkadiusz Nowak - President of the Institute for Patients' Rights and Health Education, Chairman of the Council of Patients' Organisations under the Minister for Health
- Professor Mansur Rahnama-Hezavah - Head of the Department of Oral Surgery at the Medical University of Lublin, specialist in maxillofacial surgery and dental surgery, national consultant in dental surgery, president of the Polish Society of Dental and Maxillofacial Surgery, secretary of the Presidium of the Council for Scientific Excellence for the second term [nominated by the Minister of Health].
- Professor Rafał Dziadziuszko - University Clinical Center in Gdansk, Medical University of Gdansk [nominated by the Minister of Health]
- Professor Krzysztof Warzocha –Institute of Medical Expertise in Lodz [nominated by the Minister of Internal Affairs and Administration].
- Professor Tomasz Byrski, MD - Department of Oncology and Chemotherapy, PUM in Szczecin [nominated by the Minister of Science and Higher Education].
- Zbigniew Teter , MD PhD – Department of Military Health Services [Designated by the Minister of Defense].